Tips for Trust Beneficiaries
- Contact the trustee for any inquiries about the status of the administration of a trust.
- Upon written request to the trustee, beneficiaries are entitled to receive copies of all inventories and accounts filed with the commissioner’s office. In the event that a trustee does not respond to a written request, a beneficiary may request copies from the commissioner’s office, subject to a charge. <Copy Policy> The commissioner’s office cannot accept standing requests to receive copies of filings when they are received due to the high volume of inventories and accounts received.
- Acceptance of a distribution does not prevent a beneficiary from objecting to actions by the trustee in the administration of the trust.
- If there are concerns about the trust administration that cannot be resolved with the trustee, a beneficiary may request a hearing in the commissioner’s office pursuant to § 64.2-1209 of the Virginia Code. <Hearings>
- For a better understanding of trust administration, please review the materials under the <Resources Page>.